What do you want to do is to make sure that you’ve completed the following checklist:
- You’re highly encouraged to create additional Global Admin accounts.
- You’re highly encouraged to turn on the Multi-Factor Authentication for the Admin accounts.
- You’re highly encouraged to change the default technical contact to a distribution group.
- You’re highly encouraged to update the Privacy Contact information.
- You’re highly encouraged to turn on the Auditing.
When you subscribed for the Free Microsoft Teams offering you were using a Microsoft Account and therefore you cannot access the Office 365 Admin Center. To overcome this situation you need to use the Azure Active Directory admin center to create a new - so called - organizational account.
- Log in to the Azure portal.
- Select Azure Active Directory > Users and groups > All users > New user.
- Enter details for the user, like Name and User name.
- Note the user’s full name and temporary password.
- Select Directory role.
- Assign role Global Administrator.
- Log out of Azure and then log back in with the account you just created.You are prompted to change the user’s password.
Now your new Global Admin account is ready.
There is a new Conditional Access policy called Baseline policy: Require MFA for admins (Currently in preview on 23/07/2018). This is a free conditional access policy which doesn’t require Azure AD Premium Subscription. Staying in the Azure AD portal, Select Azure Active Directory > Conditional access > Baseline policy: Require MFA for admins > Use policy immediately and Save.
Microsoft retried the Baseline Conditional Access Policies in February 2020, and replaced them with Security Defaults.
Security Defaults will do followings:
- Enforce MFA for the privileged admin accounts
- Enforce MFA for all other user accounts too
- Block legacy authentication
- Requre MFA for accessing the priviliged adminstrative tools
Turning on security defaults is quite easy, you just have to open the Azure AD admin center navigate to the Properties of your Azure AD, click on Manage Secrutiy Defaults, and enable security defaults.
If your tenant was created on or after October 22nd, 2019, it’s possible you are experiencing the new secure-by-default behavior and already have security defaults enabled
Next time when a user tries to sign-in they will be redirected to a page to set up Multi-factor authentication.
Staying in the Azure AD portal, Select Azure Active Directory > Properties and change the Technical contact and the Global privacy contact.
In the rare case when there is a breach in your #Office365 subscription @Microsoft will use the Global privacy contact information to inform your organization.
Learn more about Office 365 Breach Notification Under the GDPR
Using one of the new Global Admins you need to navigate to the Office 365 Admin Center and from the left navigation choose Admin center > Security & Compliance When you’re on the Security & Compliance open the Search & investigation > Audit log search page and on the yellow top banner there should be a button to Turn on Auditing
After you successfully enabled the Audit log collection it could take up to 24 hours until you can use the Search capabilities of the portal.